When books are turned into a movie or television show, you never know what might happen. The adaptation could be amazing, but it can also be terrible. So I decided to make a list of my Top 5 favorite book to screen adaptations and my Top 5 least favorite adaptations.
Top 5 Best Adaptations (in order)
5. The Fault in Our Stars- I absolutely loved this adaptations. I think it accurately portrayed the characters, and there was not a lot of missing or added scenes. The movie also didn’t leave out the themes the book had, which is a problem I have been seeing in many newer adaptations. I didn’t love the corny end, (“Okay Hazel Grace?” “Okay”) but overall I thought it was a very successful movie.
4.Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2- I could not ask for a better finale. It was suspenseful, emotional, and entertaining. I really enjoyed this final movie in the Harry Potter series.
3. Divergent- I was obsessed with this movie when it first came out. Being a fan of the books and seeing the series be brought to life in such a true to the books way was awesome. The actors were all talented, the setting of Chicago real, and the plot followed the same path as the books.It was very well done.
2. Mockingjay Part 2- This movie was beautiful. The fight scenes were so well choreographed, the actors portrayed their characters perfectly, the setting was so real, and it was emotional. Books typically make me cry more then movies do. While reading Mockingjay, I never cried. While watching the movie, I cried countless times. It was an amazing adaptation
1.The Outsiders(The Complete Novel)- The Outsiders is not only my favorite adaptation, it is also my favorite movie. This movie portrays the book so well, from the relationships between the characters, to the setting, to the plot. It is truly an amazing story, and I highly recommend both the book and the movie.
Top 5 Least Favorite Adaptations (in order)
5. Tex- Though this book is really good, the movie is not. The book is so much fun to read, but the movie just felt stupid and cliche. The characters in the movie were naive, instead of the fun loving characters in the book. Overall not a successful adaption.
4.The Phantom Tollbooth- This book is probably my least favorite book ever, but the movie was worse. It had the same bad qualities the book had, except the plot was all over the place. And it had bad music.
3. Insurgent- This movie was not good. It did not follow the books story line at all, some of the scenes did not make sense, and in between the dreams and simulation, it was confusing. Allegiant was a little better, but I went into it with extremely low expectations.
2. The Book Thief- The Book Thief is one of my favorite books ever, because of the themes, the characters, and the many emotions you felt while reading it. The movie stripped most of that away, and I was left with the plot. All the real emotional and intense scenes in the book were watered down to nothing in the movie. The movie kept none of the themes that the book had and never once did the movie make me cry (for the last 30% of the book I bawled my eyes out). Overall it was a very disappointing adaptation, that did not justify the book.
1.Shadowhunters- I absolutely hated this TV show. It felt like it was slopped together quickly, the sets were bad, the actors were decent, and plot holes galore. Also it was nothing like The Mortal Instruments series.I could probably give you a run down on why I hated each episode. Maybe I will post reviews for the episodes when Season 2 rolls around.
That was my list! Let me know what your favorite and least favorite adaptations are.